Monday 13 July 2015

Hat Shopping at Tewkesbury

I have visited Tewkesbury Medieval Festival since they started in 1980's.


Originally it was bit crap, more of dark ages hippy fun day out, but over time it got less a less Arthurian legend and medieval olympics and more about a re-enactment of the 1471 wars of the roses battle.

The quality of event, scale, authenticity and attention to detail has improved vastly.


One thing didn't change much and that is fair and market that runs alongside the battle which is still a mixture of new age crystal healing sellers, re-enactment kit merchants and hog roast.


I last went to the battle as a medieval re-enactor in 2006, but I have still visited almost every year since, but I now sit back and enjoy the spectacle and do a bit of hat shopping. 


This year I bought a bycocket, a reversible acorn hat, and tall straw hat which you will see me wear on this blog at some point in the future.